Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thinking...

One of the things that I'm most excited about this semester is seeing the styles of each person and how they differ from the next.

In all of the drawing classes I have had, I have never really been able to get too detailed with any of my art pieces, mainly for the fact I take so long to even start a project. That will be something that I will try to work at this semester. My tutor for my rendering class in Scotland told me that I "think too much". I need to buckle down and just do it. I fear too much about what other people think of my work. This time around, I'm going to think about this like it's an individual sport instead of a competition. I'm going to work to improve myself and not worry if someone may be more skilled than I am. I may be good at something but there will always be someone that's better. I need to learn that being good, is well, good. I don't have to be the best, I just need to be MY best. The only way I can achieve that is to keep practicing and learning.

Yesterday was my first attempt at the human skull. I wasn't really happy with it to begin with, but when I stepped back I was kind of proud of myself. That is, until we critiqued each others in groups. I'm still proud of what I accomplished, though... especially when it was at an angle that I bet most people would like to avoid if they could. I wanted to challenge myself. I thought about the critique after a while and decided that I just need to take those as positive remarks, because that's the only way I'm going to learn to improve.

The mouth seems to make it look like more of a profile view. I think that once I understand how to visual planes more, I will be able to get a more correct angle and make it look more realistic. On a positive note, I think my values in the face work well and there are points where you can see overlap one another, like the cheek bone for instance. Overall, I think this was a good first attempt. I just have to remind myself to not think so much and just trust my hand movements and what I see in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment